Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Small Things In Life...

My job does not provide me with too many perks. The other day I finally got to bask in one of these perks, and bask I did.

One part of my job entails setting up large inflatables, also known as moon-bounces. now, I am sent out to the most random of places for these things but the job is always the same. I set the inflatable up and then I sit and wait. My job is to make sure the inflatables stay inflated and don't fall apart. I bear no responsibilities to the safety of the children that flock to these things like they were handing out crack in Worcester.

Now, sometimes the people who run these events don't realize that I am only there for when something goes wrong with the inflatable. The other day was one of these days.

So there I was, sitting down near this massive obstacle course inflatable reading my book. I see this small, plump girl trying to climb over a section you are clearly advised to go through, not over. I get this giddy feeling like I was 4 again, anticipating the inevitable. I gently put down my book and just stare at this girl. I stare like I was planning on dragging her into a van. I peer around making sure no other parents see her, I do not want this to be spoiled. My anticipation is through the fucking ceiling. She climbs to the top and the piece caves under her weight and she rolls over the side and takes a glorious digger onto the hardwood gym floor. She looks at me and starts to cry.

Maybe it's the sadist in me, but my day was made in that moment. I get a sick and deranged kick out of seeing small children hurt themselves and cry. Their sadness makes me happy. I like how their faces flush with red and they cry out because they are totally and completely helpless to aid themselves.

Such a sweet joy. I work so I can see things like this happen.

No comments: