Wednesday, December 31, 2008

One Time...

There was a time I walked through the woods of Walden Pond and felt like I could never understand Henry David Thoreau. The reasons why I once felt so are now the reasons why I begin to see his logic. Destitute and disgusted, Thoreau imagines a world in which the eventual loss of innocence is inevitable. No one can stay innocent, this world will not allow it. And just as Thoreau, everyone needs to become a part of the system sometime, you can only run away from it for so long. Without a hate there is no love, without a love there is no hate. Thoreau acknowledges the counterparts each play on one another and their importance to the establishing of one. This is the world we live in. This is a real worldview. There is no black, there is no white. Everything's eventual, Thoreau just saw it sooner than most.

"Indeed, Indeed, I Cannot Tell"

Henry David Thoreau

Indeed, indeed, I cannot tell,
Though I ponder on it well,
Which were easier to state,
All my love or all my hate.
Surely, surely, thou wilt trust me
When I say thou dost disgust me.
O, I hate thee with a hate
That would fain annihilate;
Yet sometimes against my will,
My dear friend, I love thee still.
It were treason to our love,
And a sin to God above,
One iota to abate
Of a pure impartial hate.

No comments: