Monday, March 23, 2009

Atlanta, Georgia...


Sometimes the rooftop of a building reveals more than a city or its skyline. Soemtimes it reveals the faded black Big Apple shirt, sometimes it reveals a photographic enthusiasm, and sometimes you get lucky enough for it to reveal the future.
Atlanta is a diverse and strikingly urban city steeped in a rich tradition of civil rights. From the street art hidden under the Krog St. Bridge to the local artists descending upon Little 5 Points, there is an artistic ferver welling up ready to leave its mark on a city that is oddly transparent. The people of Atlanta seem to live in a city that is little more than a chalk-board in boarding school. I felt little life from the city itself and rather found it in the slow paced banter of Acapella Books' owner and in the appreciative smile of a local troubador in Vortex. As much as the city streets may have been swarmed, I often felt alone. the city is waiting for proper exposure, one not found as an obligatory name-dropping in a rap song.
Outside the Carol St. Cafe sits the house in which I will one day live. There is a park bench bench that sits underneath a palm tree, forever facing the sun. I'll bring jasmine tea and a Kurt Vonnegut book outside with me every morning.
What have I noticed about the future? There was a girl who dressed in black and drowned the colors everywhere she walked. There was nothing in a city i knew little about that drew my attention more than this woman I see every day of my life.

You will forever be standing on that rooftop with a city skyline at your back, and only the passing light of day will change around us.

No comments: